Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Interview (Markschies @ Marginalia)

I recently read through Jens Schröter's From Jesus to the New Testament and provided a book review for a seminar here at Emory. It seems to me that German scholarship is once again coming up more and more on the horizon of Anglophone speakers, and Schröter is just one of the many German scholars that I think should be read by American students of NT. 
Another figure who would be considered in this group is Christoph Markschies, professor (and previous president[!]) of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and I have heard some of my teachers here at Emory speak very very highly of him (and that does not happen often). His CV is ridiculous and he works quite broadly it seems like beyond maybe what is traditional "NT studies" (though I don't think this is a knock on his scholarship, more a positive thing).
Anyway, I saw that Marginalia conducted an interview with him and it's really interesting to hear him speak about issues in scholarship.

Check it out here.


EDIT: I suppose I should make it clear that Markschies is not actually a "NT scholar" in the traditional sense, his Dr. theol and Habilitation were earned by working in Gnosticism and Arianism respectively. However, as you can tell from the audio, he proposes a more broader expansion of one's area of research and maybe a softening of the walls between "NT studies" and "Patristics"/"Ancient Christianity". A very learned man but seems to be very friendly and interesting to listen to.

No comments: