Monday, March 10, 2014

QOTD: Socrates (from Xenophon)

For one of my seminars, I've been reading a lot of Xenophon and Plato, and I just ran across a quote in Xenophon's Memorabilia that I thought I would share with you. The recent debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham continues the long dispute over young earth, old earth, ID, evolution, etc. etc. etc. I suppose this is nothing new, as Xenophon demonstrates in a discussion between Socrates Aristodemus:

[Socrates]: "Do you not think then that the original creator of mankind had some useful end in view when he endowed us with our several senses, giving eyes to see visible objects and ears to hear sounds? Would odors again be of any use to us had we not been endowed with nostrils? What perception should we have of sweet and bitter and all things pleasant to the palate had we no tongue in our mouth to discriminate between them? Besides these, are there not other contrivances that look like the results of forethought? ... With such signs of forethought in these arrangements, can you doubt whether they are the works of chance or design?" (Xenophon, Mem. 1.4.5-6)


No comments: