Monday, November 11, 2013

Scholarly Lingo

As I continue to read more and more journals, books, monographs, etc., that are more "technical" in nature, I can't help but notice the tiresome way that certain "academic lingo" insert themselves into the prose. That is, some words or phrases just get repeated over and over... I'm not so against using the words/phrases per se, but sometimes it seems rather unnecessary and even downright confuses/weakens the argument. I'm all for attempting to write eloquently, but sometimes there is value in brevity + clarity.

Here is my short list thus far (with variables inserted):
1. a is "part and parcel" of b
2. the "Scylla" of c and "Charybdis" of d
3. "indeed" e
4. f can "cut the Gordian knot"

I recall reading a blog post by Marc Cortez (here) with a graphic showing the average length of dissertations by discipline. I for one do not want to write a 500 page dissertation. This might mean that I'll have to cut the fat in terms of rhetorical flourish, but so be it (plus I doubt my doktorvater and committee members would want to read 500 pages anyway...)

Have you come across any other phrases I could add to this list?

No comments: