Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Books Carousel

It's been a while since I've really updated anything substantial on my blog. I don't want to keep apologizing to my readers but the school semester is certainly very busy! My books carousel has been updated and some of the books should give you an idea of what's been taking up my time these days.

Lighter stuff:

(1) Parenting Without Borders: I don't have children right now but I do have a lot of friends who either have children already or will in the near future. This is a subject that has always fascinated me, particularly given my own background that was a mixture of both Asian and American style of parenting (though mostly the former?). Gross-Loh is a Harvard trained Asian historian and this book is a very accessible account of her experience overseas in various cultures (Asian, European, etc.) and how parenting is done elsewhere. I'm not a big fan of her writing style but some of the lessons she learned overseas is fascinating and it should be something that all American parents should be aware of.

(2) Bonhoeffer, Christ and Culture: If I remember right, this was a collection of papers presented at the annual Wheaton Theology Conference a few years ago. As I have mentioned before, Dietrich Bonhoeffer's life and thought is something of a side hobby for me so when I saw that these conference papers were available, I had to check it out.

(3) Forgery and Counterforgery: I just happened to see this recently published Oxford volume by Ehrman on the library shelves, so I picked it up. As always Ehrman has a flair for rhetoric and his writing style is cogent. This is a thoroughly researched monograph (comes in at 600 some pages!), but it doesn't bog down like some technical work. This isn't an area that I'm terribly interested in, but I think it's fascinating (whether you agree with Ehrman or not) and so far I'm enjoying the read. 

 (4) Thinking, Fast and Slow: Kahneman is a Nobel Prize winner in economics, so he definitely knows what he's talking about. This is a fascinating study into how the human mind works and though I haven't been able to get into this book lately due to my schedule, so far so good.

Heavier stuff:
(5) Theology of the New Testament (Bultmann + Strecker): Need I say more? Just read through the Paul section of Bultmann (I should get to his John stuff soon) and the Johannine material in Strecker is next.

(6) Translation and Survival: I just finished T. Michael Law's When God Spoke Greek and I figure I should just continue along in this study of the LXX. Coincidentally, one of my seminar session this week will be on that topic, so I'm looking forward to continuing the research.

(7) Architecture and Meaning on the Athenian Acropolis + Greek Architecture: I'm taking an art history seminar right now on the connections between gods and people in ancient Greece. These two books are a must read for anyone interested in this topic, and though I'm just getting my feet wet, the class has been thoroughly enjoyable and informative.


There's probably a few more books here and there that's always jumping in and out of my to-read list, but these were the main ones that I could think of right now. I just wish I had more time and ability to read/digest all these books faster than my current pace. Read anything very interesting lately? Let me know!


No comments: