Sunday, April 21, 2013

Prosperity Gospel?

This is somewhat out of my own arena of expertise, but I wanted to introduce all of you to a forthcoming book:

Beautiful cover, no? Oxford University Press seems to always do a good job creating some nice looking volumes and this one is no exception. It's a book titled, Blessed: A History of the American Prosperity Gospel, due out next month (May 2013) from Oxford University Press (check it out here). It's written by Kate Bowler from Duke Divinity School. During my time at Duke, I wanted to work as a research assistant and Kate was nice enough to take me on despite my zero-knowledge of American Christianity. 

This is the publication of her dissertation written at Duke under Grant Wacker and from my conversations with her as well as preliminary reviews of her book (e.g. from Mark Noll and Jonathan Walton), I think it's going to be a fantastic addition to the library of any Americanists. If you're mildly interested in the prosperity gospel, then I highly suggest you go ahead and pick up a copy of this book as soon as it's out.

No comments: