Thursday, March 29, 2012

New friend

Apologies to my faithful readers! It seems that all I do these days is pop in every now and then to apologize. Though I guess I'm not really that sorry because I've been swamped with finishing up my degree at Duke and moving on to pursue doctoral work. I will keep you posted with regard to where we'll end up in the Fall! Anyway, back to the topic at hand: technology. I went to the Duke Divinity library today to discover a new machine in place of an old scanner:


I guess it's some new amazing scanner that looked world's apart from the usual flatbed scanner that you see at libraries or your office where you just lay your books flat with a plastic flap on top to cover it. There are two really efficient aspects to the scanner: (1) you just keep the book laid out with pages facing up, so it moves rather quickly when you can just flip the page and continue to scan, and the more amazing part (2) the scanner comes with a pedal like a piano where you just step on it to scan! Today I probably scanned about 50 pages of material and what normally would have taken at least 15-20 minutes to do, I think I finished in less than 10. I don't know where we'll end up yet, but I do hope the next library will also have my new bestfriend, Bookeye 4.

No comments: