Friday, May 21, 2010

Cliche?

I'm sure you have heard the cliche, "Do not judge a book by its cover." Well, the more I read/buy books, the more I'm convinced that the cliche is oftentimes wrong. I mean, who doesn't like the way this book looks on the outside? Regardless of whether or not you read the book, you gotta admit, it's a cool cover. One other book that I recently added to my wish list, is one I saw on my Google Reader feed, from a review by Andy Rowell, who is a ThD student at Duke.

Here's the cover:


The book is hot off the press (April 2010) and I have to admit, I didn't really read what Andy had to say about it, the cover just got me. Not to mention Tim Keller wrote the forward to the book. Seems to me, sometimes a book should be judged by its cover.

What do you think?

5 comments:

John Anderson said...

This book by one of my teachers at Baylor, Joel Burnett, is the most captivating and attention-grabbing cover I have seen in a LONG time:

http://fortresspress.com/media/images/productsh/0800662970h.jpg

Mike S. said...

John: WOW. That is seriously a great cover... I wonder where he found this picture? (Or are cover pictures usually found by the publishers?) Thanks for that! Makes me want to just buy the book for its great cover.

John said...

The publisher found it he told me. It is a statue of Job. I'm reading the volume now.

Mike S. said...

John: I see, that's good stuff. Thanks for posting the link to that book, Dr. Anderson. :)

Mike S. said...

Oh and one more interesting thing, I typed in "statue of Job" in Google, and if I'm right, that statue is at a church about 15 minutes from my house!