Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How did the disciples...

know what Moses and Elijah looked like? I never gave it much thought but today, I just started wondering about this scene in Mark 9:2-10 (pars. Matthew 17:1-9, Luke 9:28-36) when Jesus took his inner circle (Peter, James, and John) up to the mountain where he talks with Moses and Elijah in transfigured form. I don't know if this is an irrelevant question, but honestly, in a day without pictures or videos, how would you be able to identify someone a thousand years past? Would they tell their children, "Look son, if you ever see a man with a long white beard with a cool staff, he's Moses, and if you ever see a man wearing a garment of hair with a leather belt, he's Elijah"...? Or did Jesus say, "By the way guys, this is Moses and Elijah, say hi"? I might be missing something altogether, but this was very odd to me as I was reading the passage today... Anyone have any thoughts?

7 comments:

broadcastdepth said...

First, I think you're right in saying that this is an irrelevant question to the point of the story. However, it is fun to wonder about these things. My best guess is that Moses and Elijah would have been the logical people for the disciples to assume they were. Who else in their history (in their minds) stood out more? Here is their greatest prophet (who God himself buried) and a man who, instead of dying, was taken up to heaven in a fiery chariot.

Mike S. said...

Matt: Haha, yeah you are absolutely right when you say this is irrelevant to the point of the story, but it is still interesting that they automatically are seen to recognize the two as Moses and Elijah. Granted these were two prominent figures from Israelite history, but still, it is odd nonetheless...

Paul In Lee said...

name tags

Paul In Lee said...

name tags

Mike S. said...

Paul: Haha, good one. Right when I saw your comment, I saw that white sticker one that we always get: "Hello, my name is: MOSES"...

J. Suizzle said...

Holy Spirit of course!
Direct connect!!! :D
i didn't even go to seminary :D

Mike S. said...

Josh: HAHAHA, good one, Josh. I'm proud of your non-seminarian answer.