Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hodgepodge

I'm waiting around at church for a servants' dinner, so I just had a bunch of thoughts I wanted to post...

(1) I'm currently working on some personal statements that are required by the school applications. Does anyone else find this part to be one of the most difficult parts of the application? I don't mind writing a resume, taking a test, etc., but I'm just not good at "talking myself up", if you know what I mean. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

(2) GRE is coming up in less than a week. I don't want to end up taking this darned test again so I've set a pretty lofty goal for myself and I have every intention of getting very close to it. But... so many words that you would never ever see again in your life! Example: legerdemain. Let me know if you've ever ran into that word... Math section is not hard and I feel like I can get 800 on it, but they're tricky! If you have any plans to take that test, take a bunch of practice tests, I promise it'll help with your clock-management and problem solving.

(3) IVP Academic has recently released their 23 page PDF of their 2010 catalog. I have this itch to add so many of these books to my 'wishlist', but I will exercise some self-control... for now.

(4) I'm applying to four major research universities for a short research focused degree so I can hopefully get a PhD after that. I'm hoping to land at least one and with good funding (I'm a poor seminarian). I might be swinging for the fences but I will find out in a month or two, so I guess we'll see. Exciting.

2 comments:

Janice said...

i like this hodgepodge post! haha what does legerdemain mean?

Mike S. said...

Janice: It means: trickery, deception... :)