Thursday, October 29, 2009

Which one to buy?? The pain of indecision...

As a poor seminarian, I always have to be judicious on which book to buy from my super long wish list of books... Anyway, the bookstore close to my school always puts on a Fall sale, where commentaries are mostly 40% off SRP and other books around 35% off. My question to you is, for the biggest bang for the buck, which one do you think is worth it??

Craig Evans, Ancient Texts for New Testament Studies, ~$23
Geza Vermes, Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English, ~$14
James H. Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha Vol. 1, ~$43
D.A. Carson and Peter O'Brien, Justification and Variegated Nomism Vol. 2, ~$36
David Aune, Apocalypticism, Prophecy, and Magic in Early Christianity, ~$33
Luke Timothy Johnson, Writings of the NT, ~$30
James Beilby, The Historical Jesus: Five Views, ~$17
Joseph Hellerman, Ancient Church as Family, ~$17

I know the list is somewhat long and the interests are varied, but it's so hard just to pick one! Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Nick Norelli said...

Justification and Variegated Nomism seems to be the best deal. The rest you can find just as cheap or cheaper on Amazon, Eisenbrauns, CBD, or through a number of used booksellers.

jhlee19 said...

ooo...i'm kinda diggin' "The Historical Jesus: Five Views" only because i'm curious as to what those five views are. curiosity is built into the title!

you're such an intellectual...i LOVE IT!

aaronchoi said...

Dr. Hellerman's insight into Kinship & Church Family in his Exegesis & the Gospels class was unquestionably one of the most impactful things I learned during my time at Talbot.

crazysush said...

Buy what you want! I'll pay.

Mike S. said...

Nick: Thanks for the heads up on the pricing!

Jinny: I just got the book from Howard for my bday! I will be sure to let you know how it is when I get into it...! See you Friday??

Aaron: Yeah, I was enrolled in his NT seminar class this semester but had to drop it due to $... I'll prob buy that book sometime.

Noona: Thanks!