Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Just one word?

Do you guys like tattoos? I'm not much of a big fan, but seems like tattooing a word from the Bible (or a verse) is a big trend that's catching on in our churches today [at least where I'm from!]. My encounters with the ink:

(1) When I went to New Orleans after Katrina, we met a lady there who tattooed the Greek word ἐλεέω (eleeō, lexical form of the word meaning "I have mercy") I think on her wrist, mistakenly thinking that it was the noun form for "mercy" which is actually ἔλεος (eleos). It was kind of funny and sad at the same time...

(2) I have a friend who is a social worker who is very concerned about social justice. She is doing some great things in the community, and on her forearm, she has the tattoo מִשְׁפָּט (mišpat), which I guess is the closest word to (social?) justice she could find in the OT.




So, if you were allowed just one word, what would you tattoo, where would you put it, and why?

2 comments:

Nick Norelli said...

I'd get ἑώρακα (= I have seen) tattooed on my eyelids. ;-)

Mike S. said...

Nick: Haha! That is a very scary place to put a tattoo...