Thursday, August 27, 2009

Who knows the schools?



So, following the end of my program here, I am looking to do one more masters program, just like Brian L. mentioned here. For those of you that might be reading this blog, which schools do you guys recommend a student try to get into for a terminal masters for the following:

(1) ThM in New Testament
(2) MA in Classics
(3) Are there any other good masters program for someone trying to pursue a PhD in NT eventually?

I have to say... trying to find the "right" school is so difficult!

5 comments:

Brian LePort said...

MA in Classics may be useful, but doing a FULL second MA is overwhelming, which is why I did a ThM.

I would recommend doing a ThM with the school you did an MA with since it makes for a easier transition.

Mike S. said...

Brian: Thanks for that comment. It is so difficult to figure out the "next step" for these things! I don't know about you, but I'm always second guessing what I should pursue next. Anyway, Talbot ThM would be ok, but I'm thinking if your suggestion is right, I may try for a ThM at Fuller instead.

Brian LePort said...

If you do the ThM @ Fuller make sure you apply before the end of January before the fall that you intend on attending. I wanted to apply to Fuller, but I did not begin talks with the school until February. I was told I could apply in Jan of '10. Fuller has a good reputation, but it wasn't enough for me to take a year off so I stayed with Western Seminary, which is a good school as it is.

Mike S. said...

Brian: Thanks for that tip. While it is "easier" in a sense to just stay at my current school to do a ThM, Fuller's list of classes seemed much more interesting!

Mike S. said...

Or maybe the grass is just greener on the other side... we'll see.