Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Did you hear that?

Our homework this week is 1 Thess. 2:13-20 and since I'm at a coffee shop right now and don't have my commentaries, I don't know if I'm nitpicking, but I ran across something in verse 13:

Καὶ διὰ τοῦτο καὶ ἡμεῖς εὐχαριστοῦμεν τῷ θεῷ ἀδιαλείπτως, ὅτι παραλαβόντες λόγον ἀκοῆς παρ᾽ἡμῶν τοῦ θεοῦ ἐδέξασθε οὐ λόγον ἀνθρώπων ἀλλὰ καθώς ἐστιν ἀληθῶς λόγον θεοῦ, ὃς καὶ ἐνεργεῖται ἐν ὑμῖν τοῖς πιστεύουσιν.

The part that I had trouble with is 13b "ὅτι παραλαβόντες λόγον ἀκοῆς παρ᾽ἡμῶν τοῦ θεοῦ". The 4 translations that I normally look at (ESV, NAS, NRS, NIV) all roughly translate that as, "that when you received the word of God that/which you heard from us." My qualms are with the genitive, "ἀκοῆς", because when I looked it up in BDAG, Paul never seems to use it to say "you" did something, but more often than not, it just refers either to a report, the ears, or some kind of hearing. Why can't it be translated: "that when you received the word of report of God from us"?

Am I just hearing what's not there?

2 comments:

Ben said...

ἀμὴν ἀμὴν better learn how to translate greek right!

Mike S. said...

Hah. You better learn the difference between tertiary and secondary carbon structures that stabilize the radical!